Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Weekend Recap

This weekend was rather uneventful.  We barely did anything.  After sleeping in on Saturday, I cleaned and organized my little section of my room.  We headed down to lunch at around 11:30.  There were only five of us so the kitchen ladies just had chicken sandwiches and pasta salad.  After that, I got to work learning some Spanish.  I'm picking up on some words but I don't know how to put them together so I wanted to look up the different conjugations and grammar things.  I found a website (studyspanish.com) that has a bunch of units on beginner Spanish.  I read through a few of them and realized that I actually know most of the concepts because they are very similar in French, I just didn't know how it corresponded in Spanish.  In the afternoon we went to the baby center again and played with more babies.

Herninio!

That night the orphans had a pizza party so we went up and helped with that.  They had a few pinatas for the kids too.  They divided it up into big girls and big boys and the younger boys and younger girls.  The younger ones could barely swing the stick.  They were precious.  After serving pizza to the kids, we played with them.  I still could barely understand them and I didn't catch any of their names but we still had fun.  They just grab your hand and pull you somewhere or point if you're holding them.  It gets dark here super early, at about 7, so we headed back to the Mission House.  Julio got us cucos so we had that while we watched another movie.


The kids and their candy

Sunday we had breakfast and then went to church a few minutes down the road.  It was such a small church that we doubled the size of the congregation.  It was an interesting experience.  They started the service with a lady who prayed and sang some songs.  We didn't know any of the words so we just clapped along.  Their regular pastor was at a different church so Brother Benjamin preached.  Nina and Julio translated for us.  He talked about how we have to pray with faith and perseverance.  When we got back, we had lunch and then went swimming. 

The front of the church

For the rest of the afternoon, we just hung around and relaxed.  After dinner, we got a ride back up to the Mission House and had a bonfire and worshipped with the volunteers and translators.  We made s'mores with Chiky's, which are sort of like shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate.  They're delicious.  It was a great way to end the weekend and prepare for the new week with a renewed focus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment